FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
about Lutheran Special School & Education Services
Whom do you serve?
- We serve students who struggle with unique learning challenges and/or emotional difficulties. Our self-contained classrooms serve children from 3rd to 8th grade; resource rooms are available for 1st to 8th grade students based on openings through the partner schools; teacher consultants serve 3-year-olds through high school students.
What type of learning difficulties do you work with?
- We work with students who have been identified with a certain learning difficulties including LD (Learning Disability), ED (Emotional Disturbance), CD (Cognitively Disabled) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). We also work with slow learners and students with social and behavioral problems. If you are interested in any of the services provided by LSSES, please contact us to discuss your child and we will work with you to identify which services may be most helpful.
What programs and/or services does LSSES offer?
- LSSES has two self-contained elementary classrooms located in Milwaukee Lutheran High School, resource rooms at three local Lutheran elementary schools, a school-to-work program, Teacher Consultant services, art therapy services, and various other teacher and parent resources.
Does my family have to belong to a Lutheran Church in order for my child to attend Lutheran Special School?
- No. While we are affiliated with the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, we welcome students of all faiths and religious backgrounds. However, our curriculum is based upon the Christian values and doctrine inherent to the Lutheran faith.
How do you get your students?
- Our students come to us through referrals or recommendations from teachers from both private and public schools. Teacher Consultants in the area help assess students as requested and make referrals. Parents also contact us directly with concerns and questions about their child.
What does tuition for Lutheran Special School cost?
- Please contact us if you are interested in enrolling a child in our school and we will discuss tuition costs and options with you.
Do you participate in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program?
- Yes. Those students who live in the city of Milwaukee and meet the financial requirements of the program may apply for School Choice to attend Lutheran Special School. For more information on School Choice, contact us at 414-461-8500.
Do you serve physically handicapped students?
- We have served children with some physical handicaps. Please contact our office for more information.
Do you offer busing or van transportation?
- We do not offer transportation to or from our school.
Do you offer any before or after school programs?
- We are not able to offer any before or after school programs at our self-contained classroom site. There are before and after school programs at our resource room locations.
Do you offer free or reduced price hot lunches?
- Free and reduced hot lunch is offered at some of our program sites.